Fall Wardrobe Basics: Part One

For the past few months I have been on the hunt for some fall/winter basics. You know, black denim, sweaters, cardigans, and quality leggings. I'm hoping that being intentional with creating a basic, but functional wardrobe will streamline the process of getting dressed on a daily basis - and give me more motivation to dress how I want. I'm also hoping these pieces will carry me through fall and into winter - and even make it to next year.

Living in the deep south, an excessive amount of thick sweaters, heavy coats, and variety of boots isn't a necessity. It's only cold here for about two weeks and that's usually in late January or into February. So I've been considering pieces that will be functional for the mild to cool weather and my casual lifestyle as a stay at home mom. And for those two cold weeks we get, I'll just wear a scarf and socks.

I wouldn't say that I am completely diving into a capsule wardrobe, but I am adapting the idea of purchasing and having season-appropriate clothes that make up the foundation of my wardrobe - and these items can function together or separately. So, kind of, I guess. 

In working to build a closet full of basics for the fall/winter season, there were a few things I considered for each and every item. These are also great things to consider in general when shopping any time of year:
  1. Do I love this? This is honestly the most important thing to consider when deciding whether to wear/keep/purchase a clothing item. If you don’t love it, why wear it? Right? Believe it or not, clothes can play a vital role in mood and confidence. You should love what you’re wearing. It will show in many different ways. 
  2. Is this functional? Before I buy any item, I always consider it’s functionality. Can it be worn in more than one way? Can it be dressed up and worn casually? Is this something that fits into my daily life? Can I wear it from season to season? These are all important questions in building a capsule-style closet.
  3. What are basics to you? If you’re like me, my basics need to be comfortable; they lean more towards the casual side. There’s no need for a SAHM to have pencil skirts, blouses, or heels in her basics. However, if you’re a professional working woman, those are your basics. In these posts, I’ll be sharing the basics for the life I'm living right now - staying at home with my two toddlers. 
Those are three questions that are good for anyone making a purchase or putting together a capsule wardrobe. If you follow that model of reasoning, you should be able to build a closet or wardrobe or capsule that works flawlessly for you and your lifestyle. 

The idea behind doing this and sharing it with you all is not only for me to build and make the closet I want, but also to show you that having a room-sized closet packed with clothes isn't necessary. I've found the more I have in my closet, the less variety I wear. When I look in and see so. many. pieces. of. clothes. it is overwhelming and I just revert to wearing the same two to three outfits every day. BUT if I can look in my closet and, visually-speaking, things are organized and simple and I can see everything I own and see how this piece can be worn with this or that and all I have to do is decide how I want to wear something - that makes getting dressed so much easier. And that's my goal. 

Here are the first few basics I am sharing today:
Leopard flats (currently 40% off!)

A white sweater and/or turtleneck and olive pants were a must on my list for fall/winter basics this year. I just love winter white! It's clean and versatile and I'm not sure why anyone made a "rule" stating no white after Labor Day. Say YES to white all year long in my opinion. This particular sweater (or any similar version of it) goes with e v e r y t h i n g - I have styled it here with my olive pants - and below with a denim skirt and again with a dressier, pleated skirt. It will also look great with my black denim, distressed denim, shorts, over a dress, and the list goes on. This may be my favorite fall item! The balloon-style sleeves are more of a trend, but I don't mind it because it gives that oversized look. I also like that this sweater is (almost) crop style - so it goes perfectly with anything that's high-waited. 


These leopard pointy flats were also on my must-have list. Leopard is so good for adding visual interest to a basic look, but it also functions as a neutral. Wearing flats with "jeans and a sweater" seems pretty simple, but when it's leopard flats, it takes the look to the next step. 

Balloon sleeve sweater (similarsimilarsimilar)  //  Olive skinny jeans  //  Leopard flats (currently 40% off!)

Last fall I saw a few bloggers wearing these faux-leather leggings by Spanx and after seeing them worn just a couple different ways, I was a fan! They are such a great step-up from the basic legging and it's even better that they can be dressed up with heels or completely dressed down with tennis shoes. They are a bit pricey, but I have also seen them go on sale (I got mine for 30% off!). I knew I wanted these, so I saved up for the splurge and waited for the sale! And from what I hear, they are durable through all the wearing. Win-win! If you're interested in them, do some looking around online - you may be able to find a sale if you're patient.


This is a great transition outfit for when the mornings are cool, but the afternoons are a bit warm - and then the evening are cool. Again, simple and basic top and bottom, but added the leopard flats for a bit of interest. You could also switch out the flats for boots or booties as it gets cooler.

Balloon sleeve sweater (similarsimilarsimilar)  //  Denim skirt  //  Leopard flats (currently 40% off!)

This skirt below is far from a basic in my personal everyday wardrobe, B UT  I wanted to show you how you can take basics from your closet and mix them with dressier (or even statement) pieces. While this is a dressier, pleated skirt, wearing flats verses heels makes it a little more appropriate for teachers, a casual workplace, church, or dinner with your gals. Add heels and it's a little more elevated for date night or even a wedding. Also wanted to note - this skit has 100% been a spring piece for me, but this look is do-able for fall. I think it would look even better with a camel-colored top!

Balloon sleeve sweater (similarsimilarsimilar)  //  Leopard flats (currently 40% off!)

Alright. Those are the basic pieces I am sharing for now. So far over on Instagram, this sharing of my fall/winter basics has been a hit. I have several more basics that I will be sharing on my stories and here on the blog later in the week and into the next. 

Comments

Popular Posts