What's Cooking Wednesday: Honey Garlic Chicken

There are so many recipes I cook on a weekly basis that I have been cooking fo years. I have no problem with those recipes - nor does my family - but I do enjoy trying new recipes and this Honey Garlic Chicken did not disappoint. 

On a quest to find new ones that become favorites they need to be 
1. Easy
2. Delicious 

And this checks off both of those boxes. Any meal that only requires dirtying up ONE pan/skillet/pot/whatever is a friend of mine. Send them all my way!



INGREDIENTS:

  • 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
  • 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
  • 2 tablespoons honey
  • 2 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
  • 16 ounces baby red potatoes, halved
  • 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
  • 24 ounces broccoli florets*
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves

DIRECTIONS:

  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly oil a baking sheet or coat with nonstick spray.
  2. In a small bowl, whisk together 2 tablespoons olive oil, butter, honey, brown sugar, Dijon, garlic, oregano and basil; season with salt and pepper, to taste. Set aside.
  3. Place potatoes in a single layer onto the prepared baking sheet. Drizzle with remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Add chicken in a single layer and brush each chicken breast with honey mixture.
  4. Place into oven and roast until the chicken is completely cooked through, reaching an internal temperature of 165 degrees F, about 25-30 minutes.* Stir in broccoli during the last 10 minutes of cooking time. Then broil for 2-3 minutes, or until caramelized and slightly charred.
  5. Serve immediately, garnished with parsley, if desired.


*Original recipe here.


The moment I started mixing together the honey-garlic glaze for the chicken I knew this was going to be delicious. It smelled divine and I was tempted to eat it with a spoon. I was able to control myself and the glaze made it safely to the chicken. 

I will say, if you want to save yourself a little time, because you are going to have to measure several ingredients and chop or press your garlic, I would recommend making the mixture the night before or earlier in the morning and keeping it refrigerated until you need it. I wouldn't make it more than 24 hours ahead of time, but the night before or morning of should be fine. 


I don't have a large sheet pan - I have a large cookie sheet that does not have the raised lips to catch liquid. So I used a smaller sheet with lips for the chicken; I used a cast-iron skillet for the potatoes and when it was time to add the broccoli, I just tossed it on top of both the chicken and potatoes. 




This was so good! I recommend grabbing these ingredients and putting this on the dinner schedule in the very near future! 

For the mamas out there - I have one child that doesn't eat potatoes and another that has never cared for broccoli. I'm one of those moms who continuously presents disliked food to my children. I'm convinced they'll eventually try it (especially if they are really hungry!). Both my children chowed down on this entire meal! Kid approved over here at the Jackson house! 

Let me know if you make this!

Comments

Popular Posts