What's Cooking Wednesday: Homemade Pizza

Homemade pizza is a go-to meal around this house. It's incredibly easy, I typically always have the ingredients on hand, and it's my husband's favorite thing that I make. 

Actually, one of the first times I made this pizza, Chris, my husband, told me it was the best pizza he'd ever had! And I have to be honest, it is really good - there's not a lot to it, but I think the simplicity is what makes it so yummy. 

Literally anyone can make a pizza, but I'll go through each step below.




















INGREDIENTS:
thin pizza crust
pizza sauce
freshly shredded mozzarella
pepperoni
banana peppers
fresh basil
cooking stone

DIRECTIONS:

Go ahead a pre-heat your oven according to the pizza dough directions. 

01. Roll out your dough to an even thickness onto the cooking stone. I have always used the Pillsbury brand of thin crust. I want to try to make my own at some point, but this one is just always good. So I haven't yet. 

The dough comes in a rectangle shape. I just lay it on the stone and cut away the corners. If you don't want to waste these, you could lay them in a pan and make small pizzas (great for kids!). 

02. Pre-bake the pizza dough before topping it. This helps keep the pizza from being soggy and makes the crust crispy. The directions on the Pillsbury dough calls for a 400-degree oven and pre-baking for 8 minutes. 

03. When I pulled the dough out, instead of immediately putting the sauce, cheese, and toppings on I let it sit for a couple minutes. I can't be sure, but I feel like this helps even more in ensuring a crispy crust throughout the pizza (and no soggy center!). 


04. Then begin to dress up and top your pie! Something I've learned - a thin layer of sauce is enough! When I first began to make pizzas, I would load it up with sauce. I tried to get an even layer across the whole thing and I'd use over half the jar. Don't. I can now get three uses out of those small jars.

I also highly recommend grating your own cheese. I haven't bought grated cheese in a couple years. I always buy blocks of cheese and grate or slice it myself. I just feel like it's more fresh and melts so much better!

So put on a thin layer of sauce, cover the sauce with freshly grated mozzarella, and then top with a couple of your favorite toppings. We keep it simple with pepperoni and fresh basil. I also add banana peppers to my side - I like the strong flavor with a slight bite. 


05. Pop the pizza back into the oven to finish cooking the dough and melt the cheese. This is usually another 7-8 minutes. 

06. When the pizza comes out, finish it off with some extra basil, slice it up, and dive in with your favorite red wine.




























Hope you enjoy pizza night! Let me know if you try this out and what you put on top of your pizza! 



Comments

Popular Posts