What's Cooking Wednesday: Chicken and Rice Casserole



What You Need:
3 cups rotisserie chicken*
2 cups cooked rice
Bag of frozen broccoli
1 can Cream of Mushroom Soup
1 cup mayonnaise**
8 oz shredded cheese
1/2 cup chicken broth

Instructions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Shred rotisserie chicken and cook rice (1 cup uncooked = 2 cups cooked)
Combine chicken, rice, frozen broccoli, cream of mushroom, mayo, and 3/4 of cheese
Once combined, add 1/4 cup of chicken broth and additional 1/4 as needed - you'll want the mixture to easily stir, but not soupy - this will ensure the casserole is creamy (not dry!)
Transfer mixture into a casserole dish and top with reminder of cheese
Bake for 40 minutes

*I prefer shredding a rotisserie chicken as opposed to baking or boiling chicken - I feel like it adds more flavor and it's a bit easier. Costco sells rotisserie chicken already shredded, but I like the whole chicken because I can use the leftover skin and bone to make my own homemade broth. More bang for the buck!
**You can substitute mayo - use sour cream or a can of Cream of Chicken. I didn't have mayo today, so I used Cream of Chicken and the little bit of sour cream I had left in the fridge.





This particular recipe makes quite a large amount. It will feed a family of four for 2-3 days. If there are only two of you at home, maybe half the recipe or make the whole recipe and freeze half of it. You could freeze it in a ziplock bag (then thaw and transfer to baking dish) or go ahead an put it in an aluminum baking pan with a top.

This is also a great meal to make for pot-luck or if you're making a meal for a friend or family member.

You could easily shred the chicken and make the rice ahead of time.

I've never done this, but I'm sure you could also make the entire mixture ahead of time - maybe the night before or early in the morning, keep it refrigerated, and then bake at dinner time.



Comments

Popular Posts