What's Cooking Wednesday: Potato Soup


When it comes to soup, I feel like there are two people: those who will eat it if it's served and then there are those (like me!) who could eat soup any and every day of the year. As the primary meal provider in the family, I make an effort not to go overboard because my husband is the former of the two. I try to be a good wife and only make soup on occasion. 

A cold front is currently moving through our area, so I felt like it was the right occasion. I really just took advantage of the situation as it has been quite some time since my last homemade bowl. Plus, he really does love this recipe. 

For years I made a potato soup that simmered on the stove for a few hours. And it was delicious. A couple years ago, I came across a slow cooker recipe and decided to give it a go. It was a winner and I haven't looked back. Enjoy!


What You Need: 
5-6 slices of cooked bacon, crumbled 
4 cups chicken broth
2 pounds potatoes (I used red), diced
1 small onion, diced
4 tablespoons bacon grease (or butter)
1/3 cup all purpose flour
12-oz can evaporated milk
1 cup grated sharp cheddar
1/2 cup sour cream
salt+pepper to taste
toppings: sliced green onions, grated cheese, bacon, sour cream

Instructions: 
Place potatoes, chicken broth, onions, and bacon into crockpot
Cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 3-4 hours
Make roux after potatoes are cooked
To make roux: melt grease or butter in a pan
Once melted, sprinkle small amounts at a time of flour and use a whisk to mix
Once all flour and grease has been combined, slowly pour in evaporated milk and continue whisking
Roux will begin to simmer and bubble, continue whisking until roux is really thick
Immediately add roux to slow cooker and stir until combined
Add grated cheese, sour cream, and salt/pepper to taste
Serve warm with desired toppings












Original recipe here

Comments

Popular Posts